Clover spray

andrewerric

From NJ have whitetail institute clover planted roughly 3 acres total.
I have been using Imox at 8 oz. to the acre. I have used both Imox and Clethodim 2E before but I am looking for opinions on what ration others are using.

What rate do you mix Clethodim at?
What rate would you mix Imox at?
What rate do you mix Butyrac 200 at?
What rate are you mixing crop oil at?

Always read the label for your herbicide with specifics for your crop. From my notes..m

Clethodim
6-16oz per acre
Crop oil - 1% v/v (1% crop oil/water) = 1 QUART / 25 gallons
LIMIT: 16 oz/acre PER SEASON
Rainfast - 1 hour
Second application 2-3 weeks after emergence of new growth

Imox
4-5 oz /acre (chicory 4 oz/acre)
Apply when weed leaves are 1"-3" tall, when clover is NOT in bloom
USE Nitrogen (Nitrosurf OR AMS) AND Adjuvant AND Basagran(for sedge)
LIMIT - 1 application per season

Nitrogen
Nitro-surf (per 25 gallons)
5 pints/2.5q per Raptor label
3 pints per 21-25 gallons per Nitro-surf label

OR AMS at 12-15lbs per 100 Gallons

Adjuvants
0.25% surfactant (1 cup/25 gallons) Nitrosurf has surfactant
OR 1 pint/acre crop oil
OR high surfactant oil concentrate (0.5%v/v) (1 pint/25 gallons)

Butyrac 200
For clover (Not safe on chicory, radishes, sugar beets, turnips)
1-3 quarts/acre
Non-ionic surfactant - 0.25% v/v = 1 CUP/ 25 gallons (dry, non-humid environments)
LIMIT - Once per season
DO NOT MIX WITH CLETHODIM

Rainfast - 6 hours

Always read the label for your herbicide with specifics for your crop. From my notes..m

Clethodim
6-16oz per acre
Crop oil - 1% v/v (1% crop oil/water) = 1 QUART / 25 gallons
LIMIT: 16 oz/acre PER SEASON
Rainfast - 1 hour
Second application 2-3 weeks after emergence of new growth

Imox
4-5 oz /acre (chicory 4 oz/acre)
Apply when weed leaves are 1"-3" tall, when clover is NOT in bloom
USE Nitrogen (Nitrosurf OR AMS) AND Adjuvant AND Basagran(for sedge)
LIMIT - 1 application per season

Nitrogen
Nitro-surf (per 25 gallons)
5 pints/2.5q per Raptor label
3 pints per 21-25 gallons per Nitro-surf label

OR AMS at 12-15lbs per 100 Gallons

Adjuvants
0.25% surfactant (1 cup/25 gallons) Nitrosurf has surfactant
OR 1 pint/acre crop oil
OR high surfactant oil concentrate (0.5%v/v) (1 pint/25 gallons)

Butyrac 200
For clover (Not safe on chicory, radishes, sugar beets, turnips)
1-3 quarts/acre
Non-ionic surfactant - 0.25% v/v = 1 CUP/ 25 gallons (dry, non-humid environments)
LIMIT - Once per season
DO NOT MIX WITH CLETHODIM

Rainfast - 6 hours
Thanks!

From NJ have whitetail institute clover planted roughly 3 acres total.
I have been using Imox at 8 oz. to the acre. I have used both Imox and Clethodim 2E before but I am looking for opinions on what ration others are using.

What rate do you mix Clethodim at?
What rate would you mix Imox at?
What rate do you mix Butyrac 200 at?
What rate are you mixing crop oil at?

I normally use absolutely nothing. Pristine monocultures are for farmers. A healthy mix of weeds is most beneficial to deer. There are some problematic weeds that need to be addressed, but many weeds are beneficial to deer. If you looked at one of my clover plots during the summer, you would think it was just a field of weeds unless you got on your hands an knees. The summer weeds help shade an protect clover. I mow the plots just before our Oct archery season just as cool nights and fall rains are benefitting the clover. It is amazing how the clover rebounds and dominates the field again.

Clover fixes N into the soil. This N is just was grasses are looking to use. Each year, there is a little less clover and a little more grass in the field. This is no problem for deer and the seem to use my dirty fields even more than clean fields. The structure weeds provides is attractive to deer. Eventually the percentage of clover in the field diminishes to the point where rotation is needed. I like to rotate into an N seeking crop. I'll usually plant buckwheat in the spring and follow it with a Winter Rye with a small component of brassica (GHR and PTT) before rotating it back to clover.

I usually get 8-10 years out of a Durana field before I need to rotate. If I don't have time to rotate in a particular year, I'll spry the plot with 1 qt/ac glyphosate. I do this in the fall rather than mowing with rain in the forecast. It will kill the grasses and top-kill the clover. I'll then drill GHR into the field. After it germinates, the clover bounces back from the root system. This gives me a few more years before I need to rotate.

Weed tolerance has improved my deer use, benefited deer, and significantly reduced the time and cost I put into plots.

Back