Clover question

DougG

We planted a area of white clover, apx 1 acre. It came in decent, needed more lime, which it it will be getting in the next couple weeks. I came upon a free 50# bag of red clover and am thinking of frost seeding it into the existing white clover.

My question is, is there any issue mixing the two clover types? Should I keep them segregated? Only issue is, I don't have a plot for a new clover plot.

Advice welcome.
Thanks

No issue and a great idea. Do it. Just use the correct lbs/ac--I'd use about 15 lbs/ac of the red.

I often mix Durana, crimson, and arrowleaf in most of my food plots. Mixing clovers is a great tactic. In the South, each clover matures at a slightly different time so its great to late the plot go during the summer, let each clover for mature seedheads, then mow it down (spreading the seeds) before replanting for the coming fall.

I am looking for a better herbicide option for clover, though. Do any of you know of a herbicide or mixture that will control grasses AND broadleafs without harming the clover? I've been using Poast to control grasses but that doesn't help with the broadleafs.

I am looking for a better herbicide option for clover, though. Do any of you know of a herbicide or mixture that will control grasses AND broadleafs without harming the clover? I've been using Poast to control grasses but that doesn't help with the broadleafs.
Try 12 ounces of clethodim with 1 quart of crop oil per an acre. It will control the grass as long as it is actively growing and the crop oil is a must for the clethodim, you can also add the proper rate of 2,4d to it to control the broadleafs. However if you have chicory planted it will kill it. Also some broadleafs a very good deer browse.

Try 12 ounces of clethodim with 1 quart of crop oil per an acre. It will control the grass as long as it is actively growing and the crop oil is a must for the clethodim, you can also add the proper rate of 2,4d to it to control the broadleafs. However if you have chicory planted it will kill it. Also some broadleafs a very good deer browse.
oops I meant 2,4-DB it is safe for the clover

Cleth will accomplish the same as using Poast (sethoxydim) which I already am. I have some unfavorable broadleafs (non deer food) I need to remove. The 2,4Db is what I need to mix in. At what rate should I use the 2,4Db so that it won't harm to clover?

Cleth will accomplish the same as using Poast (sethoxydim) which I already am. I have some unfavorable broadleafs (non deer food) I need to remove. The 2,4Db is what I need to mix in. At what rate should I use the 2,4Db so that it won't harm to clover?
2 quarts to an acre

Works great to mix them. The deer will cherry pick the red and keep it from smothering out the white the biggest part of the year. Then when the red fades back in the fall, the white will come on more in colder weather. Very good combination.

I picked up 25 lbs of Barduro Red and 10 lbs of Durana White along with 200 lbs of WR to oversees where the dozer is going to be working this weekend...

Back