Changing plots with the season

BuckNasty

New to food plotting and would like to try to have food 365. Last year, I planted red and white clover, with chicory. I thought this would be the easiest to maintain and closest to food 365. Ended having a long drought. The crimson ended up coming on strong this spring. The white was doing OK, but I wasn't happy with it. Too much weeds. Decided to mow it down, till it up and going to plant whitetail institute PowerPlant mix.
I was thinking in the fall, HOPEFULLY, this will be thinned out enough to broadcast a cool season seed into it. What would be a good draw? I know a graon, but I'm not sure how long it will last, or browse tolerance. Maybe some kind of mix that I can broadcast into this. And then come back in the spring with something else.

With all that said, this main plot is only 2 acres. I can stretch a 1/4 acre farther and have about an 1/8th in another spot that I'm going to see how it does in clover only. Deer density is not heavy, my only equipment is ATV disk plow, which did good working this up. And a riding mower. (I know).... Soil PH is currently 6.1... 9 months ago it was a 5.3 so I'm thinking it's still on the way up.

Goals are to attract, grow, and lightly hunt.

So that's my direction. Any ideas, tips, and how to's are greatly appreciated.
I'm still trying to decide on how to cover this Power Plant mix. Just tilled a week ago. Sprayed today, going to fertilize and seed in the next week or 2 depending on rain. Would a chain harrow work?

Thanks in advance

Welcome to food-plotting, BuckNasty. As you're discovering, it can be full of challenges, but also quite rewarding.

WTI - Power Plant is a mixture of soybeans, peas and some tall grasses (sun hemp and sun flower). You don't mention your location (many include it in their profile ID) but, based on the 90 day drought, I'm guessing somewhere in the South. That's a good thing, because sun hemp doesn't do well in colder climates. You already disced and sprayed. To plant that mixture, here is what I would do:

Broadcast a balanced fertilizer, like triple-19, at about 200#/acre. Broadcast any lime you're going to include.
Divide your seed into quarters and use 1/4 of the seed to plant 1/4 of the plot. If you run out too soon or have leftover seed, you can adjust your spreader to get the right amount on the remaining 3/4 of the plot.

Now that you have all of your amendments and seed on the ground, set the discs to where they are only going into the ground about 1.5 to 2 inches, then run over the entire plot again. (Yeah, I know that takes a lot of time, but these are larger seeds and will not germinate well if you don't get some soil on them.)

For future plantings, there are much better choices available to you. For example: In the fall, plant a mix of winter rye, oats, red and white clovers, chicory and forage radish. Forget about those Buck-on-a-Bag seed mixes, too! Find your local farmers coop and buy exactly what you need, at a much reduced price.

Good luck! :)

Jason

With a 2 acre plot I would divide the plot up into 2 separate 1 acre plot or even divided into 3 plots and start implementing the LC rotation. This will keep something growing/producing forage year round.

I agree with Jason if your set on Spring planting, he's forgotten more than I know so heed his advice. Another option would be to let it go fallow till Fall, spray it with gly and do a fall planting so your not fighting weeds all summer long. Fighting weeds can be expensive and frustrating.
I would recommend to any novice or first time plotter a Fall planting of clover, winter rye, and oats. Maybe throw in some brassicas. Cheap, easy to grow and hard to screw up. With your limited equipment I'd use the throw and mow method for planting. The WR has allelopathic properties that keep weeds in check. The WR and oats will feed your low density deer till spring when your clover should be up and running. The oats will die off early depending on your location, but your WR will keep growing into early or late summer. It makes good fawning cover and the does and fawns like to bed down close to food, or in it. Let the dead WR stand till September and do it again.
When I first bought my place I wasted a lot of money on seed and fertilizer because I did not know what I was doing. Save your money for an old Ford tractor. You can buy an 8n for less than the cost of a new riding lawnmower.
Best of luck to you and be sure to keep us posted on your successes and failures. Someone out there can learn from both.

Jeff

Thanks for your response, Jason. Yes, I'm in the south. NW Ga/Tn line to be exact. I went with the BOB mix based on the outstanding reviews and supposedly better browse tolerance. Soil test recommend about 400lbs an acre of 0-20-20. Will it be OK to put that down same time as seed?

The best time to incorporate amendments is 6 months ago, but at planting time is another good option, yes. I wouldn't plant sun hemp and sunflowers without including some Nitrogen...they really need it to thrive.

Right, I wasn't thinking about the soil test, as I put Soybeans solely.

Everyone else, thanks for the replies. I've already got the PowerPlant, so no turning back now. ;)

It is arrest max approved, ( arrow ) though. So if I need, I can spray, but this stuff is supposed to canopy and compete with weeds good. Trial and error, I'll get there eventually. Anyone know about how long I can expect this blend to last? Should I kill it off in the fall if it's still going?

That depends largely on how well deer let it get established and if any pods are formed by that particular variety of soybean. Lots of "ifs", but it may well last into mid-winter, under ideal conditions. Regardless, you'll want to broadcast a winter rye/clover/radish combo into the standing mix just as SOON as the soybean leaves start to yellow. The leaves will lose all attraction to deer at that point, but quickly begin allowing sunlight to reach the ground, where that fall seed mix can take root.

Following. I considered planting Powerplant a couple weeks ago after my clover/chicory planting washed out this year. I am on VERY sandy soil, though, and W I doesn't recommend the mix in sandy soils.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Back