Can I use vegetable oil from the grocery store as crop oil replacement?

Shufigo

Does anyone have experience with this? Plain vanilla vegetable oil is less than $3 per gallon at my local grocery. Buying a surficant or crop oil to be shipped starts with a shipping cost of almost $20 per container to Tidewater Virginia. The local SoutherStates and TractorSupply don't carry it.
If the answer is 'yes', what's a good mix rate to put in with my Clethodim?
Any help appreciated.
Shuf

Vegetable oil will not mix with water like crop oil will. I would not attempt it. I have used Dawn dishwashing soap in place of surfactant with good results.
Get some some crop oil to use with your clethodim. That's the right thing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

DrtNap, When you do use dishwashing soap, what do you use as a ratio? Ounces per gallon? Or just use the same ratio you would use if you were using crop oil?

I did a quick Google search and came up with this as a reasonable answer to your question:
"While dish soap is OK for garden-variety (pun intended) herbicides, you are talking about using products like Clethodim that have their application rates as low as Parts Per Billion. Using unknown "surfactants" can make a Success turn into a Failure too easily.

If you wanna play with the tools the big-boys play with, you gotta play the way the big-boys play."

Also Amazon.com and EBAY both sell crop oil.

I have used Dawn dishwashing liquid to substitute for SURFACTANT NOT CROP OIL CONCENTRATE. You need to get some COC for the clethodim. Sorry for the confusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Non Ionic Surfactant is actually what is recommended for clover. I am only assuming you are spraying clover, but spraying with crop oil can cause burning if not sprayed at the right time/conditions.

Tractor supply should sell it, may not be on shelves or considered a specialty item. Believe they also sell bean oil which can be used just pay attention to rates listed on label. If you have an actual supply site where farmers get herbicides, this is what I think of with southern supply, they may sell their own brand.

Agree the vegetable oil is a no go. And dishwashing soap may work in a pinch spraying around the house but it creates too many bubbles for use in larger containers sloshing around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used dish soap once in my wife's flower garden with Cleth. Brought some home from the farm but forgot the crop oil. Added the dish soap with the Cleth and it worked perfect. I have heard of other people using a surfactant instead of crop oil and still have good success.

Back