Bushog & Herbicide Sequence

hilljec

Is there any issues with bushogging the field first then applying gly? Trying to kill two birds with one stone over the long holiday this weekend.

I have done that in the past and did not get a good kill. I really think it depends on how high the grass/weeds are that you are mowing. My problem was the clippings were so thick that I did not get good contact with the herbicide.

Best to wait for regrowth after mowing, because the regrowth will be the plants which tolerate disturbance and are hard to control.

I did it on my LC mix plots this summer. As others have said, it's best to wait for regrowth to get a more effective kill, but you can definitely get the job done by doing it on the same day. Especially if your goal is mainly a fall hunting plot. You'll have better luck if the existing growth isn't too thick. Good luck!
1884a397a8c5c7159f429c0bb136eaa6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my experience, it's not optimum, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do. I agree that you can get away with it now much better than in the spring. Some vegetation has about ran it's course for the year now. I mowed a few plots early this week and sprayed them Thursday. Had quite a bit of thatch so I'll soon see, but I have done it before and been successful. Good luck !

Well I got it all done this weekend. Bushogged on Saturday and applied 2 quarts per 25 gallons of gly on Sunday. We only have a little over 4 acres of fields, so it wasn't all that bad.

I will keep you guys posted on how they look in a couple of weeks.

On another property I hunt, I sprayed gly today. I mowed it about a month ago thinking it's August, so it ain't gonna grow much more. Wrong ! We had ten inches of rain in August so I upped my gly ratio a little to put the hurt on the the rathere tall grass and weeds in the plot. I'm leaving Friday for speed goats in Wyoming, hope it's dead when I get back.

Back