Best way to terminate red clover and rye without tiller?

Whitetaildeer13

Hi guys

I have a plot of rye and red clover that I want to terminate this July so I can rotate it to brassicas. I will be using the no till method because I do not have access to a tiller. Would a standard application of glyphosate be able to do this or do I need to mix or use another herbicide for this.

Thanks for your help.

Hi guys

I have a plot of rye and red clover that I want to terminate this July so I can rotate it to brassicas. I will be using the no till method because I do not have access to a tiller. Would a standard application of glyphosate be able to do this or do I need to mix or use another herbicide for this.

Thanks for your help.
WR will be dead by then and you can just mow short or plant into it if it is not too thick. RC will kill with gly, even tho clovers can rebound since they are tough. If clover is burned back by heat and drought of mid summer, you can plant right into it while it is thin.. Not really a problem either way as after your brassica plot is browsed with only the tubers left, the RC if it survives some, will cover ground and green up next spring. I always overseed brassica plots either Nov or March with WR and RC to cover the dirt and provide green and feed thru summer until next rotation. Good luck.

WR will be dead by then and you can just mow short or plant into it if it is not too thick. RC will kill with gly, even tho clovers can rebound since they are tough. If clover is burned back by heat and drought of mid summer, you can plant right into it while it is thin.. Not really a problem either way as after your brassica plot is browsed with only the tubers left, the RC if it survives some, will cover ground and green up next spring. I always overseed brassica plots either Nov or March with WR and RC to cover the dirt and provide green and feed thru summer until next rotation. Good luck.

X2 - Excellent reply dogghr.

Roller crimp will certainly terminate the rye but I'm not so sure about the clover.
Timing is important. In my part of the world red clover fades with summer heat . Crimping will set back the clover, but not kill it . But timing can give the beans enough of an edge that they can canopy. In any event if you plant RR beans, you can come back and spray if you need to. If you want a one and done, crimper on the front end spray rig on the rear. 2-4-D will hold up your planting for 3 weeks .

Wild Think is probably right about a roller/crimper on clover. It's hard to get a good kill on clover with a roller/crimper because the height. If it was taller, you might stand more of a chance. But I'd guess you won't have 100% kill on the clover.

8378c97f7bbd3549e312aa3a53cc7b28.jpg

I am leaving mine standing it helps keep the South Georgia heat off of it and it will be good fawning and it is helping with weeds

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Back