Best way to establish new clover strip?

Whitetaildeer13

Hi Guys- I was looking for a recommendation on how to establish a new clover strip. I currently have this area planted in LCs cereal and a brassicas Mix split in half. I did not add the 10 percent clover strip this fall. The total width of the plot is 15 yds. I would be able to plant the clover strip where the cereal grain is or the brassicas..whatever would be easiest. The plot runs east west and I wasn't sure if the north or south part of the plot would work best for clover. Thanks for your help.

I have always had the best luck planting clover in the early fall. It doesn't produce much that year, but it comes on strong the following year. Fall planting tends to reduce weed competition as well as allows for enough soil moisture to prevent a failure. Planting in the spring in my area puts a young plant in a tough spot come the dry and hot of summer and then toss in the stress of dealing with weeds as well and it's an uphill battle. My favorite way to do it is to run a RR annual (corn or beans) for a year or two first to reduce the soil bank and then broadcast my clover into the standing crop in the early fall. Several ways to do it, but I always try to do a fall planting vs the spring.

Welcome Whitetialdeer13 to this forum.

I see this is your first post. What state are you from? I will allow some of the more experience food plot guys to respond to your question.

Hope you enjoy the ride. Glad to have you with us. ;)

Fall seeded is the best as explained earlier but don't despair. You have an opportunity to frost seed some and in the brassica portion should do the best. Just seed late in the winter or early spring where you will have some freeze and thaw cycles. Be ready to spray for grasses and mow for broadleaf control as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep unfortunately the best and easiest way is to include the clover in the LC mix and then just mow to terminate the rye the following spring. Since you missed that, I would frost seed as Smallplot suggested.

over seed the plots late winter with a medium red clover (I use the Kenland variety). It will pop up quickly and feed the deer starting mid spring and all summer. Then the following fall turn it into a perennial plot with ladino if that is what clover you want. Keep something good growing all summer long--it will feed the deer and also feed the soil!

over seed the plots late winter with a medium red clover (I use the Kenland variety). It will pop up quickly and feed the deer starting mid spring and all summer. Then the following fall turn it into a perennial plot with ladino if that is what clover you want. Keep something good growing all summer long--it will feed the deer and also feed the soil!

Now this is a recommendation I can agree with.

Seriously with the LC rotation you should be planting some clover, LC recommended Berseem but I really like a Medium Red, the spring following brassica. It is quick to establish and it is a preferred food source. You could even plant a mix of Med Red and your chosen white variety in the 10% you dedicate to a perennial clover portion. The white will take over the red in a couple years anyhow.

Good call dogdoc

Don't overlook pouring on the fertility as well. I limed when I planted it it, but I also put some P and K on my clover in the spring and it came like gangbusters once the rain and warm sunlight came. It was thick and tall and kept the weeds at bay. Can't get at any pictures right now, but maybe in a day or two I can post some.

This spring I plan to put a light dose of gypsum on them to ensure it's got the sulfur it needs. I might do a test strip to see if the gypsum produces a different result in growth or browse preference.

Thanks for the replies guys....if I overseed during the winter, would I have to worry about the winter rye or other weeds becoming a problem or would the medium red clover grow enough toallow me to mow or spray a chemical for weed control.....and then in the fall would I just terminate the plot and replant ladino clover?...thanks

Sent from my iPad using Deer Hunter Forum

Thanks for the replies guys....if I overseed during the winter, would I have to worry about the winter rye or other weeds becoming a problem or would the medium red clover grow enough toallow me to mow or spray a chemical for weed control.....and then in the fall would I just terminate the plot and replant ladino clover?...thanks

Sent from my iPad using Deer Hunter Forum
That depends on how thick the rye is. If not too thick then just let it be. Makes great fawning cover or mow the rye when it starts to head out to release the red clover. Terminate plot for your fall planting of perennial clover.

A great place to start on this topic are LC's threads on winter rye and clover

To quote him, they go together like " peanut butter and jelly"

The writings of this obviously spiritual fellow are a joy to read

bill

Winter rye grain and medium red clover.

d880d826dad6b79625d4a173e9aecfda.jpg

Back