Anyone know anything about roses???

j-bird

Anybody know anything about roses or how to save them? I have a rose bush that my wife is pretty attached to that appears to have caught some drift from our ag field. The entire thing is dead, but this one little part is green and seems to be hanging on.....I would really like to save it if at all possible
rose.jpg

Makes me think there might still be some roots alive keeping that one stem alive. If so you will get new growth from the roots. I dont think there is any other hope.

Your chances of saving it are slim.

I would try a cutting. Cut off the green part, use some rooting hormone and try to get it to take root in some potting soil. Keep in a shady place where you will get a little sun each day but not too much. keep watered well. I would avoid mid day sun and let it get some in the morning and evening.

Also keep the spot watered at the place the bush died. There is a slim chance the root system may not be entirely dead and it could come back next year

My blackberry briers I recently sprayed had some green places like that for a few days, but as time went on - rest in peace......

This little bit of green has held on for a few weeks now. What sort of rooting hormone am I looking for? I have not ventured into the world of cuttings before.

This rose is a transplant of one my wife's grandfather planted decades and decades ago....so like I said she is pretty attached to it. if I can save it somehow I would be a real hero. She has no green thumb at all, so if I don't save this thing....it has no other chance unless like was stated the roots have some life left in them.

If I cut the green off to save, is there any value in cutting off the assumed other dead stems at this point????

I will try to water a "dead" plant in hopes that the roots survive as well.....

This little bit of green has held on for a few weeks now. What sort of rooting hormone am I looking for? I have not ventured into the world of cuttings before.

This rose is a transplant of one my wife's grandfather planted decades and decades ago....so like I said she is pretty attached to it. if I can save it somehow I would be a real hero. She has no green thumb at all, so if I don't save this thing....it has no other chance unless like was stated the roots have some life left in them.

If I cut the green off to save, is there any value in cutting off the assumed other dead stems at this point????

I will try to water a "dead" plant in hopes that the roots survive as well.....

Here you go:

http://www.rooting-hormones.com/rose.htm

I have to ask....
Is it dead or have just the leaves been burned? Scratch the stems here and there, especially the main branches. All dead and brown? Or, is there still life (you'll know the difference) beneath the brown stem sheath? If all you find is brown, it's probably dead. If you have brown stems - snap, crackle, pop - and green stems start cutting hard. Cut out the dead stuff down to where you find the first side bud. There's one hiding there somewhere if the bush is still gasping for breath. Pruning hard is your best friend.

What herbicide do you think hit it?

Not to be a party pooper but I have tried rose cuttings many many times with no success.

My dad does a lot of rose cuttings. He pots them in a pot in a mostly shaded area. Then he puts a larger glass container covering the cutting and pot. Makes a small green house I guess. My parents show roses and have a million of them but I don't know what his success rate is on the cuttings.

Well thanks to you all there is some hope. I attacked the plant with trimmers and removed 4 to 6" at a time until I found signs of life. There is life still in several stems and I also found some signs of it trying to produce more leaves as well, so it isn't entirely dead. I'm going to keep it watered and hopefully by removing the portions that are dead it will pull thru. I thought for sure I was screwed and would need to try to root the last living portion, which I wasn't very optimistic about. Buy taking the time and actually checking the stems I think I have given it it's best chance of surviving.

Back