Allegheny Chinquapin

mattpatt

My only 5yo Allegheny Chinquapin is loaded with blooms this year. Too bad it's the only one I have left. I had two and the other died so there's nothing for it to cross with. Pics showing male and female catkins.

a55699467bbb33fbdd93e0b3ecb9e982.jpg

f0b4d640b05750a8c58b39596a4a734a.jpg

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

That is cool.

I hunt a property that had some extensive reforestation planting done about 15 years ago. There are a lot of allegheny chinquapin in there and they have never bloomed as far as I have seen. Most have broken out of the tree tubes at this point.

Do you know how old they are? Most start around four and five years old. This tree had a few blooms on it last year and produced one nut but it wasn't viable and ended up falling off the tree. It'll probably have a few on it this year but more than likely will not produce viable nuts as it's the only one in the area. I need to find a older tree at a nursery somewhere to replace the one that died.

15 years as I said above. Some are 6" and 20' tall. It just doesn't make any sense. I have never seen catkins much less a nut. The ID is right. They came from the VDOF and the DOF sells them.

I know it's not an older tree, but if you need some AC seed to plant, let me know and I'll send you some in October. I usually get a bunch off of my main tree and happened to find 4 or 5 more trees that have nuts forming on them this year that I released with a mulcher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it's not an older tree, but if you need some AC seed to plant, let me know and I'll send you some in October. I usually get a bunch off of my main tree and happened to find 4 or 5 more trees that have nuts forming on them this year that I released with a mulcher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the offer and I will give you a shout when it gets closer to time. AC looks like it is one of the few trees that can withstand the hot and dry summers we have around here.

Matt

Matt,

I have a few Acs planted bare root in 11/14 that started producing last fall!!

I planted 100 more 1/17 in the sandy upland portion of my property

Crabapples and ACs are one of few trees that survive our summers

bill

AC will often produce the year after being planted. AC likes rocky soil and dry conditions. I have 9 year old trees that survived 6 years of drought, are almost 20 feet tall, and will be loaded with nuts this year. AC is maybe the best wildlife tree I've planted.

AC will often produce the year after being planted. AC likes rocky soil and dry conditions. I have 9 year old trees that survived 6 years of drought, are almost 20 feet tall, and will be loaded with nuts this year. AC is maybe the best wildlife tree I've planted.

When do they typically drop?

Go to arborgen.com and follow prompts

They have several nurseries around the country

Superior trees in florida also has them

bill

Back