Air locked tractor

It's a pain in the keester when something goes out during routine maintenance. It tends to lead you down the wrong path. I ran a scraper once in my ignorant and less-talented youth that would run out of fuel after lunch everyday. Mechanic couldn't understand as it had just come from the shop. After trying everything easy, bleeding lines, blowing out lines, etc., he finally drained the fuel tank, shined a light in there, and found a red shop rag. Evidently it only got down to the fuel line when the tank got low on fuel.

I had a wouldn't start issue. My mechanic did as said-disconnected the fuel line before the pump--no fuel came out. He then blew hard into the fuel line blowing towards the tank. Fuel then came out. Told me there was dirt in the tank and not to let it get more than 1/2 empty. Did once and it happened again. Have not let it get low again in four years and no more clogged line events.
It's easy to blow the dirt out of a fuel tank. Wait until the fuel level in the tank is as low as you can run it. Stick a short piece of scrap 1/2" to 3/4" hose into the tank fill pipe with the lower end of the hose at the lowest part of the fuel tank and the other end pointed wherever you want to blow the fuel to. Stick your air hose nozzle in the tank fill pipe and stop the fill pipe with a rag, apply air pressure and blow the dirt and dirty fuel right out of there. Wiggle the hose a bit to vacuum the lasts drops out. Works just like a vacuum cleaner.

Last edited:
That sounds like a lot easier than taking the tank off and cleaning it out. I'll run that idea by my mechanic; he's very open to different ways to do things. Thanks for sharing that Mennoniteman.

Back