Killing Japanes Stilt Grass ??

Discussion in 'Food Plots for Wildlife' started by Double L, Dec 28, 2018.

  1. Double L

    Double L Active Member

    Messages:
    236
    Likes Received:
    182
    Location:
    Somerset County, Pa
    I have a couple questions about how to go about killing JSG.
    1 pre-emergent 'what kind"
    2 will it kill everything else in plots now?
    3 when to start spraying?
     
  2. Native Hunter

    Native Hunter Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,471
    Likes Received:
    2,338
    Location:
    Kentucky (Zone 6B)
    That's not how I would attack it. I would use a grass selective post emergent herbicide every year until I exhausted what was in the seed back - doing an occasional spot spraying thereafter if necessary. That way I would be killing two birds with one stone - taking care of JSG, plus other unwanted grasses at the same time.

    Here is a good link for you: https://ohioline.osu.edu/factsheet/F-70-11
     
    Double L likes this.
  3. Tap

    Tap Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    575
    Likes Received:
    348
    Location:
    S.W. Pa zone 6b
    I assume I already know the answer to this but I'll ask anyway...
    Is there a Stiltgrass specific herbicide that will kill it in lawns? The crap has taken over my lawn (except for where the broadleaf weeds are).
    My lawn is 70% shaded but I'm thinking of converting the other 30% to clover so I can use cleth to kill invading grass.
    Stiltgrass is a serious issue in this entire region. Huge acreage has been totally smothered by the sh^t.
     
  4. Double L

    Double L Active Member

    Messages:
    236
    Likes Received:
    182
    Location:
    Somerset County, Pa
    Excellent article. Thank you.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
     
    Native Hunter likes this.
  5. Native Hunter

    Native Hunter Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,471
    Likes Received:
    2,338
    Location:
    Kentucky (Zone 6B)
    I'm not aware of one, but I don't stay abreast of all the latest and greatest herbicide advancements.

    It's absolutely everywhere around here. Even if you kill it, there is a good chance it will be back again - however it got here in the first place. It's shady spots that aren't mowed often where it seems to be the worst problem.
     
  6. Tap

    Tap Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    575
    Likes Received:
    348
    Location:
    S.W. Pa zone 6b
    Our woods are an absolute nightmare to walk in... all caused by Asian bullshit. The Emerald Ash Borer has killed all the ash trees and the ground is littered with dead ash parts of all sizes from little branches to huge trunks. Then, the Stilt Grass has grown like a jungle over the dead ash parts. There's no way to see where there is a secure place to step. It's so easy to stumble, twist an ankle or knee, or do a face plant. a buddy had a chain saw in his hand (they were out clearing access roads from fallen ash parts) and took a header. He injured his shoulder pretty badly and missed over half of our bow season because of it.

    I haven't yet had a difficult blood trail thru the stilt grass but I know some day I will. Trailing a minimal blood trail thru grass isn't easy. I assume this crap will be miserable. A doe I shot this year died in Stiltgrass. I saw her go down from my tree so I knew where she was...she still almost disappeared in the tangle of the stuff. I was 3 yards away and still had trouble seeing her between the grass and the dead ask logs.
    Our woods have changed so much from invasives. I can hardly remember what the place was like even as little as 10 years ago.
     
  7. Native Hunter

    Native Hunter Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,471
    Likes Received:
    2,338
    Location:
    Kentucky (Zone 6B)
    Yes, the invasives are a never ending battle. If I ever run upon anything more that will help with Stiltgrass, I will let you know.
     
    Double L and Tap like this.
  8. meyerske

    meyerske New Member

    Messages:
    28
    Likes Received:
    6
    Google Dr Craig Harper and stiltgrass. Plateau herbicide is a good option for stiltgrass control.
     
    Tap likes this.

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. KSbowhunter,
  2. Notractor,
  3. Ryedog
Total: 129 (members: 3, guests: 72, robots: 54)
(moderators are listed in blue)